Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes has claimed that his team was not considered a contender for a top-four finish at the beginning of the season. Currently, the Red Devils are placed fourth in the league, with a one-point lead over Liverpool, who are in fifth place, with a game in hand. It has been a promising start for Erik ten Hag in his first season as the manager at Old Trafford. The Dutch coach took over the job with United in disarray, finishing sixth last season. Fernandes has stated that his team has surprised many with their pursuit of a top-four finish. He said to Sky Sports, “No one thought that (Manchester United) would be fighting for top 4. We know that now everyone thinks we have been great but I remember at the start of the season no one even put our team in the top six. It’s a good surprise for them.”
Ten Hag’s team is hoping to qualify for the UEFA Champions League, having missed out on playing in Europe’s elite club competition this season. The Red Devils won the Carabao Cup in February, their first piece of silverware in six years. Despite Fernandes’ claims about Manchester United being a surprise package this season, it hasn’t been an overwhelmingly successful campaign. Ten Hag’s men exited the Europa League in disappointing fashion with a 5-2 aggregate defeat to Sevilla in the quarterfinals. They have also suffered heavy defeats to Liverpool (7-0), Manchester City (6-3), and Brentford (4-0).
Manchester United will be playing against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday (May 13) and will be looking to bounce back from two consecutive defeats as they continue their push for a top-four finish.
Wout Weghorst’s future at Manchester United is up in the air as his loan spell is set to expire at the end of the season. The Dutch striker arrived at Old Trafford from Burnley in January on loan. The forward has experienced a mixed spell with the Red Devils, scoring just two goals and three assists in 27 games across competitions. Goals have been a significant issue for Weghorst, and he has been criticized for his lack of form in front of goal.
However, Dutch journalist Valentijn Driesse has backed Weghorst to return to the Eredivisie and join PSV Eindhoven. He thinks the Dutchman promises goals, telling the Kick Off podcast: “If you want a guarantee of goals, you have to get Weghorst.” Driesse touched on the forwards Manchester United legend Ruud van Nistelrooy has at his disposal. He advised the PSV boss to target Weghorst: “You still have Luuk de Jong, and then they want Lauritsen. I don’t know what will happen to De Jong then, but if you then choose a big striker who is headstrong and can achieve a lot in the sixteen, I would go for Weghorst.”
Weghorst has insisted that he would be happy to remain with Ten Hag’s side if they want to keep him. He told The Times:“If the club wants to keep me, I’ll have to know what role they have in mind for me.” However, the Dutch striker will be heading back to Burnley as it stands. Ten Hag is expected to be in the market for a new center-forward signing in the summer.
In conclusion, Manchester United has had a mixed season so far, with some impressive performances and some disappointing defeats. They are currently in a strong position to finish in the top four, which would be a considerable achievement for a team that was written off at the start of the season. Weghorst’s future at the club is uncertain, and it remains to be seen if he will return to Old Trafford next season. Ten Hag will be looking to strengthen his squad in the summer, and Manchester United fans will be hoping for some exciting new signings to help the team push for major honours next season.