Lying Prone Quadriceps is an effective exercise for stretching and strengthening the quadriceps muscles. It begins by laying face down on the floor with one knee flexed and the leg raised off the ground. A partner then kneels on the right side and places one hand on the lower back or glutes and the other on the ankle or knee, pushing the shin towards the butt. After 10 seconds, the participant should attempt to push their foot back toward the ground against the partner's resistance and hold for 6 seconds. This is followed by a 30 second stretch and, if desired, a contraction of the hamstrings for greater range of motion. The exercise should then be repeated with the other leg.
To incorporate the Lying Prone Quadriceps exercise into your workouts, follow these steps:
1. Begin by laying face down on the floor with one knee flexed and the leg raised off the ground.
2. Have a partner kneel on your right side and place one hand on your lower back or glutes.
3. Your partner's other hand should grasp your ankle or knee and push your shin towards your butt. You should feel a stretch in your quadriceps.
4. Hold this stretch for 10 seconds.
5. After 10 seconds, try to push your foot back towards the ground against your partner's resistance and hold for 6 seconds. This will help strengthen your quadriceps muscles.
6. Following the 6-second contraction, relax and allow your partner to stretch your quads for another 30 seconds. This will help improve flexibility.
7. If you want to further enhance your range of motion, you can contract your hamstrings during the stretch.
8. Repeat the entire exercise with the other leg.
Incorporating the Lying Prone Quadriceps exercise into your workout routine can help improve the flexibility and strength of your quadriceps muscles. It is important to have a partner to assist with the exercise to ensure proper form and resistance. This exercise can be done as part of a warm-up or cool-down routine or incorporated into a leg day workout. Remember to listen to your body and modify the exercise as needed to fit your individual fitness level and goals.